Brief of the School
Knowledge of Law is essential in every walk of life because the social setup of any country is built & regulated by some norms of behavior from the very beginning of social life which are either codified in legislative enactment or judicial precedents or social customs. Every action of an individual society, any association or organization is regulated & controlled by several kinds of legislation. Every resident of a nation is bound to have the knowledge of the law of the land because the latin maxim speaks-
Ignorantia legas non excusat (ignorance of law is no excuse) imparting legal education by educational institutions is an attempt to this end.
School of Legal Studies (SLS) is an important constituent unit of OSGU.
Study of law provides a professional qualification in the field of law. A person who has obtained a degree in law has wide prospects of career viz-
- Advocate – From lower court to the Apex court.
- Legal Advisior – In private & corporations.
- Legal Assistants – A cadre in the government to deal with legal cases against the government.
- Public Prosecutor – A cadre to plead criminal cases in the various courts on behalf of the government.
- Judicial Services – Through compitition (H.J.S. ; D.J.S. ; R.J.S. etc) for all states.
Law may be opted as an optional paper in competitive exams- like IAS , IPs , IFS , RAS , HCS , PCS etc.
Legal education gives immense value to the law graduates for various fields.