Counselling is a process that aims to facilitate personal wellbeing of the students through support and guidance of trained counselors, for a healthy mind and body.
With the intent to address and help resolve emotional and psychological issues of the student community of OSGU, the college has initiated the “Counselling Cell” in the university campus with the help of a trained team of faculty members as Counselors.
The Counselling Cell encourages the students to understand themselves and the issues that trouble them and guides them to resolve their problems. These problems can be personal, emotional, social, family, peer, academic, sexual, etc. This is done through individual or group counselling to help them with academic goals, social and personality development, career goals, enhancing listening skills, empathy and interpersonal skills to have healthy relationships and a healthy lifestyle.
The role of the Counselor is to offer support through listening and responding in a confidential, non-judgmental and timely way, ensuring that the students become productive, well-adjusted adults of tomorrow. They are trained to assess, diagnose and treat students struggling with academic stress, anxiety, depression, social addictions and other problems they face.
The goal of Counselling is to facilitate positive behaviour changes, improving the student’s ability to establish and maintain relationships socially, promoting their decision-making process, helping the student to understand their own potential and cope effectively with the problems they face.
Objectives of Cell:
- To help the students in solving their personal, educational, social as well as psychological problems.
- To create awareness about issues and problems related to mental health of student
- To motivate faculty in counseling activities.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Solve personal problems of student by conducting individual counseling session
- Boost self-esteem of weaker /physically challenged students.
- Diagnose the learning difficulties of students and help them to overcome the same.
- Help the students to overcome examination stress or fear.
- Conduct training program on counseling skills for faculty & staff.
- Conduct seminars for students on mental health and addiction issues.
- Refer the students to professional psychiatrics or counselors in severe cases.
- Inform the parents about psychological misbehavior of the student.