Counseling is a process that aims to facilitate personal well-being of the students through support and guidance of trained counselors to maintain a healthy mind and psychology.
With the intent to address and help to resolve emotional and psychological issues of the student community of OSGU, university has initiated the “Counselling Cell” in the campus with the help of a trained team of faculty members as counselors.
The Counselling Cell encourages the students to understand their problem, capabilities, interests and the issues; and guides them in their best interest. These problems can be personal, emotional, social, family, peers related, academic etc. This is done through individual or group counselling to help them with academic goals, social and personality development, career goals, enhancing listening skills, empathy and interpersonal skills; to have healthy relationships and a healthy lifestyle.
The role of the Counselor is to offer support through listening and responding in a confidential, non-judgmental and timely way, ensuring that the students become productive and updated citizens of tomorrow. Counselors are trained to assess, diagnose and treat students struggling with academic stress, anxiety, depression, social addictions and other problems.
The goal of Counselling is to facilitate positive behavioral changes, improving the student’s ability to establish and maintain social relations, promoting their decision-making process, helping the student to understand their own potential and solve the problems they face.
Objectives of Cell:
- To help the students in solving their personal, educational, social and psychological problems.
- To create awareness about issues and problems related to mental health of students
- To motivate faculty in counseling activities.
Roles & Responsibilities
- To solve personal problems of students by conducting individual counseling session
- To boost self-esteem of weaker /physically challenged students.
- To diagnose the learning difficulties of students and help them to overcome the same.
- To help the students to overcome examination stress or fear.
- To conduct training program on counseling skills for faculty & staff.
- To conduct seminars for students on mental health and addiction issues.
- To refer the students to professional psychiatrics or counselors in severe cases.
- To inform the parents about psychological misbehavior of the student.