Pharmacy is one of the good career option for medical student after 12th. The candidates who don’t want to pursue MBBS or BDS can go for B.Pharm or Diploma in Pharmacy. Indian pharmaceutical industry is growing rapidly, therefore the demand for pharma professional is increasing day by day.
The role of a pharmacist is to provide the medicine or drugs as prescribed by the certified medical professional. The pharma professional working in a pharma companies is involved in the operations like manufacturing, supply, quality assessment, auditing of drugs.
Career Scope of Pharmacy
The scope of Pharmacy is huge in India & abroad. The pharmaceutical sector requires skilled professional to cope up the growing demand of medicines & drugs required by healthcare units.
As a pharmacy degree holder you can work in Pharma companies, as a tutor, as an independent certified pharmacy store manager etc. therefore the opportunities are immense in this field, now one can become a pharmacist by doing a degree or a diploma level course, you can check about the courses in the below section.
Candidates who want to pursue pharmacy must have completed there 12th with PCB or PCM. After 12th one can pursue the following course:
Diploma in Pharmacy (D.Pharm)
Candidates can pursue D.Pharm after 12th. D.Pharm is a 2 year diploma level course in pharmacy.
Bachelor in Pharmacy (B. Pharm)
Bachelor in Pharmacy or B.Pharm is 4 year UG degree course in Pharmacy. The basic eligibility to pursue this course is 10+2 with PCB or PCM.
After graduation, one can go for higher studies in this field. The PG level courses in pharmacy are listed below:
- Master’s in Pharmacy (M.Pharm)
- Doctorate in Pharmacy (Pharm.D)
Doctor of Philosophy(PhD) in Pharmaceutical Sciences
Masters in relevant Discipline or equivalent Degree
For admission to pharmacy courses after 12th, candidates must meet the basic eligibility guidelines given below:
- Passed 10+2 (PCM) or (PCB) from any recognized board or university
- Must score minimum of 45% marks in qualifying subjects
- The candidate must have completed at least 17 years of age, at the time of taking admission.
- The admission to the pharmacy courses is based on the state level entrance exam conducted by state medical authority.
- Some universities also offer admission on the basis of 12th marks
- For PG courses, candidates have to qualify pharmacy aptitude test conducted at national level known as GPAT.
- The GPAT exam is conducted by NTA, the application form for the same is available from the first week of November every year.
- After qualifying the exam, candidates have to appear in the counselling process.
Employment & Job Scope
After completing the Pharmacy course, candidates have many job opportunities. Candidates with UG degree can start there career with the basic salary of 15 – 20 thousand per month. After few years of experience you might get 30-40thousand per month.
Candidates may find employment in following areas:
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Universities/Colleges as an educator
- Scientific Scholar in Government research institutes/labs
- Drug Inspector in government department
- Pharmacy professional in hospitals & nursing cares
- Pharmacy shop/Store Manager or Owner