The dental technologist provides all types of preventive and non-surgical periodontal treatment and a variety of restorative and caries preventive treatments to adults and children, working with precision instruments and using technique-specific materials. As a competent, accountable, problem-solving and evidence-based practitioner, you need excellent manual dexterity and communication skills to meet the high expectations and demands of the modern dental practice. You need to be able to effectively communicate with the public and other healthcare providers at all levels. As with all healthcare professionals the public place a high level of expectation and trust in their dental hygienist and therapist and therefore to work in this sector it is essential that you are able to demonstrate the core values embedded within the NHS Constitution:
- Working together for patients
- Respect and dignity
- Commitment to quality of care
- Improving lives
- Everyone counts
This programme provides unique modules which facilitate research skills throughout the three-year duration. It also includes the teaching of leadership and management to prepare you for your future career. The programme is designed to ensure you meet the standards and skills necessary to enable you to register with the General Dental Council and hold the title of dental hygienist and dental therapist.
The Dental Assistant graduate will be able to:
- Provide basic and expanded chair side functions to facilitate completion of restorative and advanced operative procedures
- Record medical and dental clinical documentation that adheres to legal standards
- Complete radiographic/digital images for diagnostic and technique quality
- Manipulate dental materials to support chair side and laboratory procedures
- Apply legal and regulatory concepts to the provision of oral care
- Provide assistance in the management of emergency situations
- Perform basic office procedures necessary to assist in managing dental practice
- Design and implement individualized patient education strategies
- Apply self-assessment skills to prepare for lifelong learning
The goals of the Dental Technology Program as follows:
- Function as an office and clinical assistant under the supervision of a dentist in the administration of dental care to individuals of all ages.
- Function as a practitioner performing intra-oral skills under the supervision of a dentist.
- Communicate effectively with the public and dental health team members.
- Employ safety measures to prevent or alleviate potential hazards in the dental clinic environment.
- Function as a self-directed and responsible member of the dental assisting profession, within the legal scope of practice outlined for the Registered Dental Assistant.
While working as a Dental Technologist, you may be asked to perform a range of clinical tasks under the supervision and direction of the Dentists. While aiding the dentists through a dental procedure is among the more important tasks of a Dental Technologist, you will also be responsible for helping the patients with the payments, sterilizing and preparing the equipment, communicating with the patient regarding dental hygiene and their past health and dental records, among many other. Some of the job profiles of a Dental Assistant include:
- Dental Assistant: Fresh out of a college, any dental clinic, hospital etc. would require graduates who can follow orders and assisting the specialists in their procedures. This is one of the first positions that would be available for any candidate who graduates in a Diploma or Certificate programme in Dental Assistant. The duties would include sterilizing surgical tools and equipment, communicating with the patient regarding dental practices, assisting dentists during a procedure, assisting patients with post-procedure steps and payments, etc.
- Dental Hygienist: The job profile of a dental hygienist is to clean, polishing and scaling of teeth etc. of a patient. The profile requires candidates to have good dexterity along with an adequate understanding of dental anatomy and oral hygiene. Dental Assistants will be able to become Dental Hygienists with proper experience and skills under the complete supervision of a dentist.
- Surgical Technologist: Here, the profile would require candidates to assist the dentists in surgical dental procedures. Preparing the right tools and equipment to ensure a smooth and easy surgical procedure would come under one of the duties of a Surgical Technologist. They will also assist the dentists during the procedure by handing them the correct instruments and following the instructions laid down by the operating surgeon is among the crucial tasks that a Surgical Technologist must perform.
- Medical Assistants: Like Dental Assistants, Medical Assistants will find themselves in a clinic, hospital or other healthcare facilities where they will be able to offer their administrative and clinical services in other medical fields.
Employment Sector/Industry for Dental Assistant: The employment opportunities for a Dental Assistant are plenty, with both the Government and the Private sectors offering a range of job profiles and job opportunities. Among some of the top areas of employment for Dental Assistants include:
- Government Hospitals
- Private Hospitals
- Government Dental Clinics
- Private Dental Clinics
Minimum percentage and others criteria for admission will be as per UGC/ Concerned Regulatory Bodies.
Provided below are the criteria that need to be met for the given course.
For National Students
- 10+2 in Physics, Chemistry and Biology or its equivalent.
- LEET:- The candidate who has passed in 3 years Diploma in relevant discipline after Matric or 2 years Diploma in relevant discipline after 10+2
For International Students
- Rule framed by University Grants Commission (UGC) and notified in its website www.ugc.ac.in will be followed for deciding the eligibility and admission of International students to various courses offered in Om Sterling Global University, Hisar.
How to Apply
If the programme fascinates you yet you are not able to decide upon the right one to choose, you can acquire our Free Tele Counselling session. In case you have any issues or queries regarding the admission, you can fill out the Admission Enquiry form and we shall reach out to you within 24 hours. If you have made up your mind about going ahead with the programme, you can fill out the Online Application Form.
- January 29, 2023
- December 7, 2022