Diploma in Dental Technology is a three-year diploma programme; the minimum eligibility is bachelor degree from recognized institutes and colleges or its equivalent exam. Diploma in Dental Assistant programme provides oral healthcare advice and performs strategies for example polishing, scaling, taking of radiographs, placement of fissure sealants and administering of local anaesthetic. They also teach patients on approaches to enhance and maintain great oral health. A career as a Dental Technology is one of the important roles in the healthcare industry, where teamwork is crucial to the success of medical procedures. As a Dental Assistant, ensuring that all the necessary steps are taken prior to, during and after a dental procedure to guarantee a smooth and successful operation. It is their responsibility to ensure that all the medical equipment are sterilized and are in proper working condition. As part of the role, they must communicate with the patient, confirming the date and time of appointments, assuring the patients of different procedures along with other important tasks. In India, various courses will train and qualify the candidates in the field of dentistry, producing skilled graduates capable of assisting dentists or dental hygienists in all aspects of carrying out a dental procedure. In India, the number of skilled and qualified professionals as Dental Assistants are lacking and with dental requirements increasing, so does the need for Dental Assistants for a smoother and more successful operation of dental clinics. During the programme, candidates have conferred information and training about oral hygiene and preventive dentistry. Additionally, the theoretical teaching and practical clinical teaching is provided by treating patients under supervision. Applicants have a consistently expanding extent of practice which involves deterrent and periodontal treatment, taking dental radiographs, setting basic restorations and extracting deciduous teeth. They likewise have a key part in oral health education and promotion for the individual and more extensive group. This programme has been designed to prepare students for those opportunities. Students will complete classes in dental science, dental skills, dental radiography, dental materials, oral pathology, endodontics, dental office management, and more. Graduates of the programme will be able to accomplish the typical duties of a dental assistant, including:
- Work with patients to make them comfortable in the dental chair and to prepare them for treatments and procedures
- Sterilize dental instruments
- Prepare the work area for patient treatment by setting out instruments and materials
- Help dentists by handing them instruments during procedures Keep patients’ mouths dry by using suction hoses and other equipment
- Instruct patients in proper dental hygiene
- Process x rays and complete lab tasks, under the direction of a dentist
- Keep records of dental treatments.
The Dental Assistant graduate will be able to:
- Provide basic and expanded chair side functions to facilitate completion of restorative and advanced operative procedures
- Record medical and dental clinical documentation that adheres to legal standards
- Complete radiographic/digital images for diagnostic and technique quality
- Manipulate dental materials to support chair side and laboratory procedures
- Apply legal and regulatory concepts to the provision of oral care
- Provide assistance in the management of emergency situations
- Perform basic office procedures necessary to assist in managing dental practice
- Design and implement individualized patient education strategies
- Apply self-assessment skills to prepare for lifelong learning
The goals of the Dental Assisting Programme are to produce graduates who will:
- Function as an office and clinical assistant under the supervision of a dentist in the administration of dental care to individuals of all ages.
- Function as a practitioner performing intra-oral skills under the supervision of a dentist.
- Communicate effectively with the public and dental health team members.
- Employ safety measures to prevent or alleviate potential hazards in the dental clinic environment.
- Function as a self-directed and responsible member of the dental assisting profession, within the legal scope of practice outlined for the Registered Dental Assistant.
- Appreciate the need for and importance of professional development through continuing education.
While working as a Dental Assistant, you may be asked to perform a range of clerical and clinical tasks under the supervision and direction of the Dentists. While aiding the dentists through a dental procedure is among the more important tasks of a Dental Assistant, you will also be responsible for helping the patients with the payments, sterilizing and preparing the equipment, communicating with the patient regarding dental hygiene and their past health and dental records, among many other. Some of the job profiles of a Dental Assistant include:
- Dental Assistant: Fresh out of a college, any dental clinic, hospital, etc would require graduates who can follow orders and assisting the specialists in their procedures. This is one of the first positions that would be available for any candidate who graduates in a Diploma or Certificate course in Dental Assistant. The duties would include sterilizing surgical tools and equipment, communicating with the patient regarding dental practices, assisting dentists during a procedure, assisting patients with post-procedure steps and payments, etc.
- Dental Hygienist: The job profile of a dental hygienist is to clean, polishing and scaling of teeth etc of a patient. The profile requires candidates to have good dexterity along with an adequate understanding of dental anatomy and oral hygiene. Dental Assistants will be able to become Dental Hygienists with proper experience and skills under the complete supervision of a dentist.
- Surgical Technologist: Here, the profile would require candidates to assist the dentists in surgical dental procedures. Preparing the right tools and equipment to ensure a smooth and easy surgical procedure would come under one of the duties of a Surgical Technologist. They will also assist the dentists during the procedure by handing them the correct instruments and following the instructions laid down by the operating surgeon is among the crucial tasks that a Surgical Technologist must perform.
- Medical Assistants: Like Dental Assistants, Medical Assistants will find themselves in a clinic, hospital or other healthcare facilities where they will be able to offer their administrative and clinical services in other medical fields.
- Pharmacy Technicians: The job profile of a Pharmacy Technician would require a candidate to assist a pharmacist in dispensing medications as per the prescriptions to patients or other health professionals.
Employment Sector/Industry for Dental Assistant: The employment opportunities for a Dental Assistant are plenty, with both the Government and the Private sectors offering a range of job profiles and job opportunities. Among some of the top areas of employment for Dental Assistants include:
- Government Hospitals
- Private Hospitals
- Government Dental Clinics
- Private Dental Clinics
Minimum percentage and others criteria for admission will be as per UGC/ Concerned Regulatory Bodies.
Provided below are the criteria that need to be met for the given course.
For National Students
- 10th or its equivalent.
For International Students
- Rule framed by University Grants Commission (UGC) and notified in its website www.ugc.ac.in will be followed for deciding the eligibility and admission of International students to various courses offered in Om Sterling Global University, Hisar.
The program syllabus of Diploma in Dental Assistant has been diligently drafted in such a way that it takes care of the holistic growth of an aspiring student. Along with equal emphasis on theoretical and practical characteristics of study; Om Sterling Global University also focuses on providing the best skills and personality development classes as these are a must in top diploma colleges like us. With these diploma programs in hand, a student can excel at any time in an interview and can become a HR Professional’s favorite candidate in the process.
|04.||Biomedical Waste Management|
|03.||Fundamentals of Computer|
|07.||Fundamentals of Computer Lab|
|01.||Introduction of Dental technology|
|04.||English & Communication Skills|
|05.||Principles of Management|
|01.||Basic concepts of food|
|02.||Basic concepts of Nutrition|
|03.||Introduction of Health care|
|01.||Diseases of Teeth & Gums|
|03.||Dental Health education|
|04.||Orientation in Dentistry|
|01.||Community Public Health Dentistry|
How to Apply
You can fill-up the Admission Enquiry Form below if you have any queries regarding the admission procedure of Diploma in Optometry. Now, if you are unable to decide on which program to choose, feel free to reach out to us via the FREE tele-counseling option. If you have decided that you must pursue Diploma in Optometry and start a rewarding career in the on-going process then go ahead and fill-up the Online Application now.
- November 10, 2022
- November 9, 2022
- October 17, 2022
- October 16, 2022
- October 15, 2022
World Students’ Day is a day celebrated on the birth anniversary of former President and Indian Aerospace Scientist ‘Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam’. To pay tribute to […]
- October 14, 2022