M.Sc. in Soil Science & Agriculture Chemistry is a 2-year postgraduate course, the minimum eligibility for admission to which is the successful completion of graduation (B.Sc.), with a minimum aggregate score of 55%, and 1 year of relevant experience. Study of soils’ is the key to understand how an ecosystem works. Soil is a store house of water and nutrients to plants, filter for effluents-wastes, home to organisms, and is critical for recycling elements vital for plant growth, as well as organic and inorganic wastes. Moreover, soil is act as physical support to life. Soil management is essential in our continued quest to increase the production of food, fodder, fiber, fuel and fertilizers while maintaining and improving the environment, and mitigating the effects of climate change. Being the essence of all terrestrial life and ecosystem services, we cannot take the soils for granted. Soil is the foundation of survival for present and future generations. Due to overexploitation of soil resource for different purposes by the society, soil is undergoing several degradation processes, putting the soil quality at a stake, and threatening the sustainability of food productivity globally. It is nearly impossible to feed burgeoning population without maintaining soil health. Soil professionals have an important role to play in optimally managing soil resources. The Soil Scientists and soil professionals continue to enrich the lives of all human beings by improving stewardship of the soil, combating soil degradation, and ensuring the future protection and sustainable use of our air, soil, and water resources. We never think good agriculture without good soils? The future of all life is directly linked to our understanding and appreciation of soil and land management.
- To introduce the classical concepts of soil chemistry and to familiarize students with modern developments in chemistry of soils in relation to using soils as a medium for plant growth.
- To acquaint students with basic structure of alumino-silicate minerals and genesis of clay minerals; soil genesis in terms of factors and processes of soil formation, and to enable students conduct soil survey and interpret soil survey reports in terms of land use planning.
- To teach students the basics of soil biology and biochemistry, including biogeochemical cycles, plant growth promoting rhizobacteria, microbial interactions in soil and other soil activities.
- Knowledge Enhancement: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of essential facts, concepts, principles and theories relating to subject areas.
- Communication : Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written contexts in the form of technical papers, project reports, design documents and seminar presentations.
- Problem Solving : Acquiring the ability to Identify, investigate, understand and analyze complex problems pertaining to agricultural practices and identify effective solution, strategies for implementation.
- Analytical approach : Evaluate the analytical and scientific decision making using cross functional information and research tools.
- Research Skill : Inculcate the role of research in developing and maintaining knowledge of the state-of-the-art in various technologies in agriculture sector. Acquire the skill to design develop and modify system to meet desired needs within realistic constraints.
- Entrepreneurship skills : Understand the process of setting up and managing viable business ventures.
- Ethics & IPR : Apply ethical principles and commit to professional responsibilities and norms of the scientific practice and become familiar with the intellectual property rights, standards and laws in agriculture and allied sectors
Such postgraduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Crop Consultant
- Wetland Specialist
- County Conservationist
- Crop Production Specialist
- Watershed Technician
- Hydrologist with Board of Health
- Environmental Technician
- State Soil and Water Quality Specialist
- Soil Conservationist
- County Agricultural
- Soil Scientist
- Research Technician
- Conservation Planner
- District Marketing Manager
- Research Scientist, etc.
Popular areas of employment include:
- Environmental assessment and land use
- Mining and oil & gas industries
- Research for government or educational institutions.
The average annual salary offered to such professionals in India ranges between INR 2 and 8 Lakhs, increasing with experience and skillset.
Minimum percentage and others criteria for admission will be as per UGC/ Concerned Regulatory Bodies.
Provided below are the criteria that need to be met for the given course.
For National Students
- Candidate should be a graduate in Agriculture or its equivalent.
For International Students
- Rule framed by University Grants Commission (UGC) and notified in its website www.ugc.ac.in will be followed for deciding the eligibility and admission of International students to various courses offered in Om Sterling Global University, Hisar.
The program syllabus of M.Sc. Soil Science & Agriculture Chemistry is designed in such a way that it helps a student to keep up with the latest industry trends. With this program, the aspiring students will be made acquainted with the latest advancements in the realm of horticulture. The students will be given training on personality development and communication skills program; as these have become an inseparable part of the recruitment processes. The program will help you learn the fundamentals as well as the most complex nature of subject of any topic via and excel at finding solutions to any real-time problems.
|02.||Soil mineralogy, genesis,, classification and soil survey|
|03.||Analytical techniques and instrumental methods in soil and plant analysis|
|04.||Agrometeorology and crop weather forecasting|
|01.||Soil fertility and fertilizer use|
|02.||Soil biology and biochemistry|
|03.||Soil, water and air pollution|
|02.||Management of problem soils and waters|
|03.||Modern concepts in crop production|
|04.||Principles and practices of weed management|
How to Apply
If you have any queries regarding the course of M.Sc Soil Science then you can fill-up the Admission Enquiry Form below. If you are having doubts on which program to select then feel free to reach out to us via the FREE tele-counseling option. Now, if you have decided that M.Sc Soil Science is the course you must pursue, go ahead and fill-up the online application.