Psychology falls in the category of the most opted for specializations in the degree of Master of Arts (M.A). Master of Arts in Psychology is a postgraduate programme which is completed in two years, spread across four semesters. The programme is dedicated to Psychology and students enrolled in the programme study about Human Behaviour and Human Psychology. M.A in Psychology provides a comprehensive as well as a thorough study of Psychology as a discipline. The areas covered in the programme of M.A in Psychology are crisis management, motivation and nature of mind, mental processes, conflict resolution, reactions and feelings. As a programme, M.A in Psychology offers an insight into the deeper and advanced aspects of Psychology as a field while also helping the students to understand the professional aspects of it. An M.A degree in any specialization indicates a stronger focus on liberal arts focus and students who have an M.A degree are given preference when it comes to employment. During the programme of M.A in Psychology, students are also given an option of writing a thesis. There are colleges and universities which offer the programme through distance education as well. Throughout the programme, students are taught about the various therapies and counselling strategies which can be used for helping their patients and clients who seek counselling and psychological assistance with their lives and illnesses. Many subjects of study pertaining to Psychology are covered in the programme and students have to choose their specialization as per their interest and future plans. Psychology is a vast field, hence its study can be classified into many categories. Some of the most common categories of psychology are Clinical Psychology, General Psychology, Social Psychology, Health Psychology, Counselling Psychology, and Industrial Psychology.
- To facilitate learners to gain knowledge about psychology theories, personality theories research methods, psychometrics, and cognitive psychology, theories of personality, motivation and emotion.
- To facilitate students to be responsible global citizens and contribute to the world in the form of community engagement and betterment.
- To facilitate students’ professional identity and practice as psychologists through fundamental knowledge of Psychology, commitment to professional ethics, and by participation in life-long learning.
- Enable students to be cognizant of individual and cultural diversity.
- To familiarize the students with applications of psychological principles in different applied areas.
- To impart conceptual and theoretical knowledge in fundamental areas of psychology.
- Prepare students for professional fields of psychology in general and, specifically, in the field of Psychology. Clinical Psychology, Counselling and Health Psychology.
At the end of the programme the learner will be able to:
- Students will be able to harmonize the knowledge learnt and apply it to work and fields of research.
- Students will be able to contribute towards the society in the form of community engagement and betterment while working with business or non-business organizations.
- Students will be able to display and practice professional ethics and commitment.
- Students will be able to appreciate the value of cultural diversity; and they will possess the skills necessary to utilize their sensitivities within their professional lives.
- To have competence in applying ethical principles relevant to their research, giving consideration to individual differences and diversity.
- To apply theory-based and empirically supported approaches to assessment and intervention. To develop knowledge of mental disorders/psychosocial impairments and skills to diagnose mental disorders.
- To understand the theory associated with different assessment methods and develop competence in assessment and report writing
- To develop the knowledge and skills to apply current approaches to psychological intervention, including empirically supported techniques, relevant to their areas.
Nowadays, the demand for professional Psychology is rising constantly in several sectors. With people finally being able to talk about their mental health issues, the need for professionals in the field of psychology is becoming quite important. Many schools and colleges have Counsellors or Psychologists so that the students can always reach out in case they have any problems related to their mental health. Trained people with an in-depth knowledge of Psychology are recruited at welfare organisations, community mental health centres, colleges, hospitals, clinics, etc. Some of the major job profiles at which postgraduates with an M.A in Psychology get to work are given below.
- Clinical Psychologist
- Career Advisor
- Community Relations Officer
- Social Worker
- Health Worker
Minimum percentage and others criteria for admission will be as per UGC/ Concerned Regulatory Bodies.
Provided below are the criteria that need to be met for the given course.
For National Students
- Graduation in any discipline or equivalent grades.
For International Students
- Rule framed by University Grants Commission (UGC) and notified in its website www.ugc.ac.in will be followed for deciding the eligibility and admission of International students to various courses offered in Om Sterling Global University, Hisar.
The program syllabus of M.A. in Psychology has been diligently drafted in such a way that it takes care of the holistic development of an aspiring student. Along with equal emphasis on the theoretical and practical aspects of study in economics domain; Om Sterling Global University also focuses on rendering the best-in-class personality development classes and communication and other relevant skills development classes; as these are a must these days in the highly competitive world. With these programs, an aspiring student can excel at any interview and can become a recruiter’s favorite candidate in the process.
|01.||Fundamentals of Psychology-I|
|02.||Theories and Systems of Psychology-I|
|05.||Statistics in Psychology|
|06.||Psychology – I -Practical|
|01.||Fundamentals of Psychology-II|
|02.||Theories and Systems of Psychology-II|
|07.||Psychology –II -Practical|
|01.||Psychological Testing and Psychodiagnostics-I|
|02.||Self Management and Personality Development|
Basics of Guidance and Counselling
Basics of Clinical Abnormal Psychology
Processes and Skills of Counselling
Development in Child Psychology-I
Counselling Psychology Approaches and Appraisal – I
Diagnostics and Statistical Methods – I
Case Studies Related to Child Psychology-I
Counselling Psychology Professional Foundation – I
Mental Disorders – I
|01.||Psychological Testing and Psychodiagnostics-II|
|02.||Self Management and Personality Development|
Child Psychology – II
Counselling Techniques and Strategies
Interventions in Clinical Psychology
Child Psychopathology – II
Counselling Psychology Approaches and Appraisal- II
Diagnostics and Statistical Methods – II
Development in Child Psychology – II
Counselling Psychology Professional Foundation – II
Mental Disorders – II
Case Studies Related to Child Psychology – II
Case Studies Related to Guidance and Counselling
Case Studies Related to Mental Disorders
How to Apply
You can fill-up the Admission Enquiry Form below if you have any queries regarding the admission procedure of M.A. in Psychology. Now, if you are unable to decide on which program to choose, feel free to reach out to us via the free Tele-counselling option. If you have decided that you must pursue M.A. in Psychologyand start a highly-rewarding career then go ahead and fill-up the Online Application now.